Sunday, October 5, 2014

SLÁTUR!!!! (aka Another Short Post)

5/10/14
So, around the time of year when lambs are being slaughtered, it's traditional to eat the...err...leftover bits. This, from what I understand, includes the blood and liver of the sheep. Usually you stuff these goodies into the sheep's stomach before sewing and then boiling them, but this time we used a synthetic alternative and pins for convenience's sake. 
Basically I stuffed blood and guts into a bag and then ate it. Wanna see? (Trigger warning: obviously there will be blood.)


My mouth says I'm having fun but my eyes say, ''I just accidentally pinned my glove to the bag for the third time in a row''.
Fast forward through boiling them for three hours and...

Ta-da! The light brown ones are the liver and whatnot, and the almost-black one is blood pudding.

What would a traditional Icelandic dinner be without potatoes?
Q: So, how did it taste?
A: Surprisingly good. I liked the meat ones better than the blood, which is actually how most people feel--hence why there was only one blood bag among three meaty ones. The taste is kind of like a sausage or hot dog I guess, but it's definitely got a flavor all its own. It was very rich as well. As you can see, one pouch fed my host mom, sister, and me.

If you ever get the chance to participate in making/eating lifrapylsa and blóðmör, I highly recommend giving it a shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment